Made this cake a while ago for a friend and it was a big hit. I used 2 duncan hines triple chocolate cake mixes for the cake part. The white chocolate butter cream, was amazing and it was perfect to pipe. I based my recipe off the wilton recipe, but i added quite a bit more powdered sugar than it called for, and only a few table spoons of milk.
18 ounces high quality white baking chocolate coarsely chopped, i used organic swiss white chocolate baking chips from whole foods.
1/4 cup milk
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 cup butter
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
12 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon of milk
Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
1. Microwave chocolate with 1/4 cup milk in microwavable bowl on Medium-high for 1-2 minutes; stir chocolate halfway during cooking time. Do not overheat. Chocolate will continue to melt while being stirred.
2. Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla.
3. Gradually add sugar, one cup at time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
4. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
5. Add milk and beat at medium, speed until light and fluffy.
6. Beat in chocolate.