- 1/4-1/2 cup hatch red chile powder (any red chile powder will work tho)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup flower
- water (2-3 cups)
- fresh roasted garlic
- 1-1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 pound ground beef (you can also use a chicken breast or pulled pork)
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 18 yellow corn tortillas
1. Cook ground beef, strain and set aside.
2. In a medium pot over low-medium heat, cook oil and flour, stiring constantly until brown.
3. Slowly add water and then chile powder.
4. Simmer over low heat for an hour. Set aside
5. In a bowl, mix together sour cream, onion, garlic, and cooked ground beef.
6. In a 9×13 baking pan, pour a layer of red chile sauce on the bottom. Layer 6 corn tortillas on top. Add a layer of sour cream mixture and then cheese. Top with another layer of Sauce. Repeat two more layers of 6 corn tortillas. Top casserole with a nice layer of cheese.
First layer should look like this:
Casserole looks like this before putting it in the oven