Caramelized onions are a great addition to hot sandwiches.
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp unsalted sweet cream butter
- white wine, for deglazing
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Combine onions, olive oil and garlic over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the onions become transparent.
- Add remaining ingredients over medium high heat, stirring every so often until golden brown color is achieved. You really want the onions to darken and then scrape and continue with this process. I Add some white wine to de-glaze and to keep the onions warm until the sandwich is ready.
- Use as a topper on your favorite dishes.